The success of Niedax starts with two engineers, Alexander Niedergesäß and Fritz Axthelm, who in 1920, founded Niedergesäß & Co. OHG in Berlin.
The products being offered by the company at the time were a response to the rapid development of the fledgling electricals industry, and the need for attachment and installation material.
Five years later, production was moved to Herzberg/Elster in Brandenburg and the “Niedax” trademark was registered shortly thereafter.
In 1928, successful pioneers Niedergesäß and Axthelm patented the “Niedax-Hülsen-Spreizdübel”, a wall plug, which went on to shape the company’s core business for many years to come.
Following the company headquarters’ destruction in 1944, during WWII, and expropriation of the production facility in Herzberg/Elster in 1950, the company’s headquarters remained Berlin, although a branch was also set up in Linz am Rhein in 1948.
Starting on January 1, 1955, the Linz am Rhein branch began to operate as a separate company, known as Niedax GmbH.
Niedergesäß & Co. OHG in Berlin continued to operate as an independent company. Further patent registrations supplemented the product range, including the “Bügelschelle mit dem Hammerfuß®” yoke clamp with hammerfoot in 1954.
The 1970s saw a series of key decisions that would set the course of the company into the future: The purchase of a 280,000 sq. m plot in the industrial area of St. Katharinen near Linz am Rhein enabled further production expansions in the decades that followed.
The cable tray product range was launched in 1971, marking a move away from workshop production to industrial production.
The commissioning of an in-house hot-dip galvanizing plant in 1975 represented a key expansion of the company’s production capabilities.
All production was relocated to St. Katharinen at the end of the 1970s; the company headquarters stayed in Linz am Rhein, where it remains today.
In the mid-1990s, Niedax GmbH began to grow rapidly, with subsidiaries abroad and targeted acquisitions of companies both within Germany and overseas.
Today, the Group remains 100% family-owned.